I remember watching a Betty Boop cartoon when I was about ten years old. These cartoons were originally created during the Great Depression and acted as an escape into fantasy for millions of movie goers in that desperate time. Betty and her dog (whose name escapes me) sang a cute and catchy little tune. They had been down on their luck and to cheer themselves up they sang a song with a lyric in the chorus, "The one good thing about bein' down, the only way to go is up!"
It seems that this song has been stuck in my head lately. With all the news (which I tend to ignore anyway since it's always gloomy even when the economy is fantastic) about unemployment, taxes, standard of living etc, a lot of people are feeling that they are in that "down" position. So instead of allowing myself to throw a "pity party", which believe me could be very easy to do, I just picture myself bopping down the sidewalk with my little singing dog...
Remember, "The one good thing about bein' down, the only way to go is up!"
Why you shouldn't say "that's not my job!"
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment