Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tear down that wall!

I mentioned in my last post the lack of preparation on most people's part for love. I received a great quote last week: "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." - Jalal ad-Din Rumi


I really connected with this quote on several levels. When we are children we have no barriers built against love. We accept it with open arms from anyone that expresses it. I think this is one of the reasons why children are so joyful so much of the time (when they aren't in need of a nap anyway). They really love easily and are loved effortlessly.


It is in our disappointments in life that we build up these barriers, these defense mechanisms to protect ourselves. We deceive ourselves by saying that if no one gets in, if no one gets close, then no one can hurt us. What kind of life is that to live? Alone, guarded, with no real human interaction. You may as well be in solitary confinement!


I have had to break down my own barriers recently in order to let true love live in my heart. It was painful and I know that there are still a few there that are crumbling slowly. I am reaching out to others to help them break these barriers as well. We all deserve love in every form. We all benefit from heartfelt smiles and warm embraces. We all crave that on some level. We are not alone, ever.

No comments: