Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ahh time to reboot

It has been ages since I've allowed myself the time to sit and ruminate on life. Especially in front of my keyboard. I don't like New Year's resolutions, but as I type it occurs to me that I really need to keep a promise to myself to do this more often.

I'm sure that you have had the same thing happen to you. You tell yourself "tomorrow I'll have time for me", and you allow the little everyday things to get in the way. Then before you know it. months have gone by and you realize you feel drained and disconnected. Why? Because despite the fact that you were still "taking care of everything" you neglected to take care of you.

For example. I have been telling myself for over four months now that I need a haircut. Fortunately, as a woman I can easily get away with that! Unfortunately, my hair is starting to look pretty rough. (split ends on my split ends) I finally took some scissors to a few places that looked the worst, but really it's no substitute for a good haircut. Why have I neglected this simple thing for so long? Well at first it was a budget issue. Then it was a time issue. Then it was the holidays. Then it was a budget issue, again...

I painted my daughter's room pink today. She loves it (such a girly girl). I love to paint, artistically or just plain painting the walls. I just get very calm and centered when I do it. I love to get paint in my hair and on my hands. Funny thing is, until I was painting today I had buried that love. It dawned on me while I was cutting in the bottom of a wall how much I really enjoy painting.

So this is your wake up call, and mine. Remember that simple thing that makes you feel good and for crying out loud, don't wait six months before you "indulge". Also, don't forget that it might be something as simple as a bubble bath or reading a great book that helps you feel refreshed (or a combination of the two). Indulgence isn't always expensive!

No comments: